Hi guys! In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to crochet this easy, textured bookmark. The “Stuck Between the Pages” bookmark is one of those projects that will make you fall in love with crochet again. Not only does it work up quickly (under 20 minutes and counting), but it’s also beautiful and functional. You can add a tassel to jazz it up, or leave it plain to showoff the gorgeous texture. I am not one for making multiples, but I crocheted 3 of these bookmarks because I couldn’t stop myself haha. If you are new to crochet, don’t worry. The pattern is an easy row repeat, with step-by-step pictures and a video tutorial to help you along the way. Let’s dive into the tutorial!
Inspiration for this Design:
I love to read, but I tend to put it on the back burner. This year, I am carving out time in my day to sit down and read because I am through feeling guilty about it. There is nothing wrong with taking some time to read, even if that means lying on the couch all day, in pajamas, devouring a good book.
To hold my place in books, I use anything from paper towels, to scrap paper, to remote controls – basically anything that I can find. At one point in my life, I (gasp) bunny-eared the pages. I apologize if I have offended any book lovers, but I promise that I don’t do it anymore. Since I am making reading more of a priority, I decided to upgrade my makeshift bookmarks to a textured crochet bookmark. AND I love it! I just hope that I won’t misplace it because I have a habit of doing that too.
On a side note, what books are you loving this year? Feel free to share in the comments below – we can never have too many book suggestions/inspiration. 🙂
- 1 Skein of Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton Weight 4 Medium Worsted Yarn (100% mercerized cotton, 186 yd/ 170 m, 3.5 oz/ 100 g) – Golden Rod or Ecru (approx 22 yards used)
If you don’t have any Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton on hand, you can use any weight 4 medium cotton/nylon yarn as a substitute. Here are a couple of alternatives to get you thinking:
- Dishie Yarn: Dishie is an extremely durable 100% cotton yarn that holds up well over time, no matter how many times it’s washed. They have several options: Dishie Solids, Dishie Twist, Dishie Multi-Colored. With over 30 colours to choose from, I hope you find one that speaks to you. Out of all the cotton yarns, Dishie is the most budget-friendly and gives you the best bang for your buck!
- I Love this Cotton Yarn: This yarn can be found exclusively at Hobby Lobby and has 71 colours to choose from! It works great for garments, and home decor items.
Pin this Crochet Bookmark for Later!
Other Crochet Patterns You’ll Love:
- Width: 2.25”
- Length: 7.75”
Customizing the Size of your Bookmark
This bookmark should fit any sized book, but if you’d like to customize the length and width, the process is easy.
- Width: To customize the width of the bookmark, chain an odd number + 2, until satisfied with the width.
- Length: To customize the length of the bookmark, Repeat Row 2 until satisfied with the length.
- St(s) – stitch(es)
- Sk – skip
- Ch – chain
- Esc – extended single crochet
- Dc – double crochet
-  – Repeat the instructions inside these brackets.
Extended Single Crochet Photo Tutorial:
- Insert hook into stitch. Yarn over and draw up a loop – there should be 2 loops on the hook.
- Yarn over and pull through 1ST LOOP ONLY! There should be 2 loops remaining on the hook.
- Yarn over and pull through remaining 2 loops. You’re done!
If you prefer to learn through a video tutorial, I have you covered. Here is the complete video tutorial for this easy crochet bookmark.
- The beginning chain of each row counts as an Esc and a ch- 1.
- To make the edge of the bookmark straight, make the last Esc of the row into the 1st ch of the beginning ch-3 of previous row.
- This bookmark is crocheted with 2 strands of yarn held together.
- Here is a video tutorial if you prefer more of a visual!
With 2 strands of yarn held together,
Row 1: Esc in 3rd ch from hook, [ch 1, sk 1 ch, esc in next ch] 2 times. Turn. (4 esc, 3 ch-1)
Row 2: Ch 3, esc in 1st ch-1 sp, [ch 1, esc in next ch-1 sp] 2 times. Turn. (4 esc, 3 ch-1)
Rows 3 – 13: Repeat Row 2.
*If adding a tassel, weave in bottom end only. If you decide not to add a tassel, weave in both ends!
Adding a Tassel to the Crochet Bookmark:
- Decision time! Where do you want to hang your tassel?
You can hang the tassel off to the side (Picture 1) or from the top-center (Picture 2). If hanging it from the side, leave the yarn tail where it is. If hanging it from the center, weave the yarn tail through the first 3 stitches before arriving at the top-center of the bookmark.
- Wrap yarn around a 2.5″ long piece of cardboard, approximately 10 times.
- Slip a 5″ piece of yarn between the cardboard and wrapped yarn. Make a double knot around the wrapped yarn to hold it in place.
- Cut the yarn at the bottom of the cardboard with a pair of scissors.
- Wrap a 5″ piece of yarn around the tassel to shape the top. Make 2 knots to secure the tassel.
- Trim the bottom of the tassel to make all the ends the same length.
- With a yarn needle, insert the yarn tail into the top of the tassel. When you are happy with the length of the tail/tassel, secure it in place with a knot. Weave the remaining yarn tail out through the bottom of the tassel. Trim the tail.
And voila! You’ve added a tassel to your bookmark!
If you have any questions as you work through the pattern, please reach out to me. I’d be more than happy to help! Simply comment below, or send me an e-mail through my contact page.
Congratulations! You’ve just finished your first Stuck Between the Pages Bookmark. I hope you enjoyed making it as much as I did. Now you can snuggle up with a good book, and put your bookmark to use!
Check out some more fun and budget-friendly crochet patterns on the blog.
Disclaimer: You are welcome to sell items that you’ve made from this pattern; however, you are not allowed to use my pictures or sell my pattern as your own (Copyright @ ThisPixieCreates).
As always, thank you guys so much for following along with me! I love seeing what you create with my patterns, so please tag me (@thispixiecreates) in any posts you share. You are also welcome to post pictures or questions in our Facebook community page!
I hope you all have an amazing day!