Hi guys! Can you believe that it is already mid-March? Before we know it, flowers will be in full bloom, and we can shed our winter coats. Last Sunday was the dreaded spring-forward daylight savings time, and I have not recovered. Does springing forward throw anyone else off? One good thing that comes from springing forward is knowing that the sun stays out a little longer each day; there is nothing better than watching the sun set at 9:00pm.
To get you in the mood for Spring, I designed the Spring Forward Pillow, which features bobbles and light purple yarn. Nothing screams, “Spring!”, quite like crochet bobbles! This pattern looks complicated with all of the texture, but it is a lot easier than you think. This pillow uses 4 stitches: single crochet, double crochet, front post double crochet, and the bobble stitch. Once you get the hang of the pattern repeats, this pillow is so fun to make.
About the Spring Forward Pillow:
- This pillow is made in two pieces (front and back panel), and sewn together on four sides. If you prefer to make your pillow removable for washing, there is a photo tutorial for adding a zipper to the 4th side.
- This pattern is designed to fit a 12″ x 20″ pillow form.
- Pattern Difficulty: Intermediate or Advanced Beginner
- Stitches Used: Single Crochet, Double Crochet, Front-Post Double Crochet, and the Modified Bobble Stitch
The Front and Back Panels of the Crochet Pillow:
The front panel has bobble stitches and textured ribbing, while the back panel just has the textured ribbing to keep things simple!
The Modified Bobble Stitch Photo & Video Tutorial
This pillow pattern uses a modified bobble stitch to create more pronounced and circular crochet bobbles – they really pop, even when using a 5.0mm crochet hook and sport weight yarn!
Normally, bobble stitches are made by double crocheting 5 stitches together (dc5tog). To make the bobble stitches more pronounced, we will triple crochet 5 stitches together (tc5tog). The key to this stitch is making sure to yarn over twice before inserting your hook into the stitch!
I will walk you through this stitch in the photo tutorial below, but if you prefer more of a visual, here is a video tutorial to help you:
- 1. Yarn over twice and insert your hook into the indicated stitch (A, B).
- 2. Yarn over and draw up a loop (C).
- 3. Yarn over and pull through only two loops on your hook (D, E, F).
- Repeat Steps 1 – 3, four more times. You should have 11 loops on your hook (H).
- Yarn over and pull through all 11 loops on your hook (H, I, J).
- Single crochet in the next stitch (K). And you are done!
Pin this Crochet Pillow Pattern – Here!
Other Crochet Patterns You’ll Love:
- The Whimsical Stripes Pillow
- Retro Velvet Circular Pillow
- Burst of Sunshine Pillow
- Flower Power Pillow
- For the Love of Texture Afghan
What is Included in the Spring Forward Crochet Pillow Pattern?
- Step-by-step pictures are included to help you along the way!
- A photo and video tutorial for the modified bobble stitch are included in the pattern.
- Video tutorial links for each stitch are included in the pattern.
- Stitch counts appear at the end of each row to help you follow along!
- This pillow pattern includes instructions for making it removable for washing; a photo tutorial for adding a zipper to the 4th side is included in the pattern.
- The PDF is a total of 18 pages, written in English, and US crochet terminology.
The Spring Style Blog Hop by Ned and Mimi and Itchin’ for Some Stitchin’: March 1st – 31st
Before we get to the pattern, I just wanted to take a second to thank the hosts and sponsors of this blog hop! This pattern would not have been possible without Sarah from Ned and Mimi, and Rae-Lynn from Itchin for Some Stitchin. These two ladies are co-hosting the Spring Style Blog Hop, that I am lucky to be featured in on March 20th. Each day from March 1st – 31st, a new crochet pattern and designer is featured on their blogs. From now until March 31st, you can follow along with Ned and Mimi’s blog, to get your free crochet pattern download each day. Thank you Sarah and Rae-Lynn for hosting such an organized and successful blog hop.
A special thank you goes to We Crochet, who generously donated the yarn for each pattern featured in the blog hop. This was my first time working with donated yarn, and I am beyond grateful for the yarn support, as well as the chance to work with this wonderful company. I chose to use Brava Sport Yarn in the colourway Serephium, for this pillow design.
A Free Pattern PDF on March 20th: Spring Forward Crochet Pillow
On March 20th, you can download a free PDF of the Spring Forward Pillow Pattern.
- To get your free pattern, the first step is to click on the “Go to Round Up” button below.
- Under the “March 20th” heading, you will see the coupon code!
- Come back to this post, and click on the “Download” button to be taken to Ravelry.
- Type in the coupon code before checkout, and your pattern will be free to download.
- If you have any trouble downloading the pattern, please let me know. I am happy to help!
If you miss the “freebie” day, the INEXPENSIVE Printable PDF of this pattern is available on Etsy HERE! or Ravelry HERE! This PDF includes the complete pattern and step-by-step pictures, photo tutorials, and video tutorial links, so you can follow along on paper, highlight and make notes. It is a total of 18 pages including the cover page.
If you have any questions as you work through the pattern, please reach out to me. I am more than happy to help! Simply comment below, or send me an e-mail through my contact page.
Check out some more fun and budget-friendly crochet patterns on the blog.
As always, thank you guys so much for following along with me! I love seeing what you create with my patterns, so please tag me (@thispixiecreates) in any posts you share. You are also welcome to post pictures or questions in our Facebook community page. I hope you enjoy making this pillow, and the bobbles make you smile!